March 13 Update from Superintendent Field

Dear Students, Parents, Staff, and Community Members:

After considering all aspects of the COVID-19 situation, Governor Kristi Noem is recommending that all schools in South Dakota be closed next week, March 16-20.  This step is being taken in order to stay ahead of the spread of the coronavirus.  The Governor recommends that schools use this time to do deep cleaning of their facilities.  As a result, there will be NO SCHOOL in the Beresford School District on March 16-20.

Due to the health and safety concerns related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), we are postponing and/or cancelling all school district activities and practices for next week.  As to the future, our District will be limiting and/or cancelling most of our out-of-district travel and we will be reducing the number of visitors and/or volunteers in our school buildings.

For the time being and until further notice, non-school groups, teams, and leagues, including PRCE activities, parent-coached teams, AAU/pee-wee wrestling, AAU/JO volleyball, baseball/softball practices, etc. will not be allowed access to our District facilities and gymnasiums.  The only exception will be the PRCE pre-school and their before and after school program.  Once we are back in school, District sponsored instructional activities and co-curricular activities will continue to use the facilities for practices as usual.  Any adjustments to those schedules will be communicated as necessary.

Elementary parents and grandparents who pick up children after school, we would ask you to please stay out of the school hallways and meet your children/grandchildren in the student commons.

We understand that the coronavirus is creating anxiety and concern.  Our top priority continues to be the health and well-being of our students, staff, parents, and patrons of the Beresford School District.  Our District is taking additional precautions to clean, disinfect, and sanitize our schools.

This is an unprecedented situation, so we ask for your patience and understanding as we sort through this process.  Any potential school closing due to illness and reopening will be determined in consultation with public health officials.

Our District continues to follow the recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the SD Department of Health, and the SD Department of Education.  We fully understand that you have questions and we will be in contact when we are able to provide further updates. 


Brian Field, Superintendent

Beresford School District